Thursday, March 4, 2010

Brand loyal...until I got in a pickle at Sainsburys's

I am partial to lime pickle as nothing spices up a bit of grilled lamb neck fillet on a skewer better. I had dinner all planned. I just needed to pop into Sainsbury's(my closest local supermarket, others are available) to get the lamb, some salad and, of course, Sharwoods finest lime pickle as I'd gobbled up the last jar. Shriek! The shelf in the store was empty! It seems I am not the only fiend.

Now I knew that they sometimes keep a stash next to the Indian foods as well as with the pickles so I marched over to that isles. Aggghhhhh! None there too. Oh what to do!? Vicky, noticed I was in a fluster and pointed out that there was another brand available on the shelf near by. A little uncomfortable, I was, until I noticed it was Pataks. Now until I'd seen their advert on the television (yes i sometimes do watch commercial television) I'd never heard of them. Suddenly I felt a little more at ease and willing to put it in the trolley.

The verdict? Not bad at all. More lime than paste compared to the Sharwoods version which gave it a stronger sense of freshness. It was also hotter! So be warned. Would I continue with it long term? May be. I'll keep you posted. I might even buy both and mix them. I mean they are like having two different pickles.

2 comments:

Jason Klaasen said...

So, are you now converted to believing in the power of advertising?

Jason Klaasen said...

So, are you now converted to the power of advertising?